General Guidelines for Indian Passport Holders
- Your Passport is a valuable document. It should always be either in your custody or in the custody of a person duly authorized by you. If lost or destroyed, the fact and circumstances should be immediately reported to the nearest Indian Mission and the local police.
- Always keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place and submit the same while requesting for a duplicate passport. Without a copy of the passport, the issue of a duplicate passport may be delayed.
- Your passport can be impounded or revoked by the Government of India under the provisions of the Passports Act 1967, in which case you will have to surrender the passport to the nearest Indian Passport Authority.
- If you have acquired foreign citizenship, please surrender the Indian passport to the nearest Indian Mission and apply for renunciation of Indian citizenship. The Indian passport is returned to the applicant after cancellation. The cancelled Indian passport and renunciation slips should be kept in safe custody as these may be required at the time of applying for Overseas Indian citizenship/Indian visa, etc.
- The passport applicant is required to pay the prescribed fees in Icelandic Krona. Fees are to be paid by Bank Transfer in Embassy’s bank account. Bank account information will be given after submission of all documents. Debit cards, Credit cards, cheques, cash, or payments in other currencies, are not acceptable. Processing Time: Minimum Six weeks from the date of submission in Embassy
- The passport application is to be filled online at https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/. All applicants are requested to exercise due care while filling the online Passport Application Form and submit complete documents in respect of any change in address/profession of the applicant.
- As per International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) regulations, now only machine-readable printed passports are being issued. Issue of handwritten travel documents, except Emergency Certificate, is not permitted from 01/04/2010.
- Revalidation of Short Validity Passports by handwritten/printed endorsement is not permitted. Upon expiry of Short Validity Passports or any change in the particulars of the data page, apply for a fresh passport.
- Police Verification for grant of Passport is necessary in certain cases for reissue of passport.