- It is advisable to avail pre paid taxis/autorikshaws (three wheeler taxis) wherever available at the airports and railways stations. For metered taxis insist on paying by meter or ask for a fare chart
- Shop at Government emporia/fixed price shops as far as possible. This ensures good quality products at reasonable prices. Insist on proper receipts/bills of purchase.
- Keep your valuables in hotel lockers/safe deposit vaults.
- India tourism has a system of approving travel agents/tour operators who conform to prescribed standards of service and quality. Always book your tours through such agencies. A list of approved travel agents/tour operators is available at the local India Tourism office/State Government Tourist Office..
- For guiding services, hire a Government approved tourist guide who always carries an identity card issued by Indiatourism and Archaeological Survey of India..
- Change money only at authorized foreign exchange outlets/banks/hotels and insist on proper receipt.
- Contact the nearest India tourism office/State Government Tourist Office for authentic information. All these offices supply guide maps/brochures free of cost/at a nominal cost.
- Confirm/re-confirm hotel booking yourself.
- Buy train tickets from Railway Booking Counters or through authorized Travel Agents.
- Always keep a Xerox copy of your passport and visa (including online) for any exigency
- Don\’t fall for tempting exchange rates offered by unauthorized people.
- Don\’t allow any unauthorized person to act on your behalf. Stay away from touts.
- Don\’t purchase air/bus/train tickets through strangers, touts and unauthorized travel agencies.
- Don\’t accept lavish hospitality extended by strangers/unknown persons especially while shopping for jewellery and expensive items.
- Don\’t travel in a Taxi carrying any person other than the driver.
Emergency Telephone Numbers: Police-100/Ambulance-101